Monday, May 16, 2011

Don’t Underestimate Boxed Wine

We’ve all had an encounter with boxed wine; slapping the bag of wine at college parties would have never existed without boxed wine.  I feel as though boxed wine isn’t given enough credit, maybe some wine drinkers can’t picture it outside of the “slap the bag” concept.  Whenever I shop for wine I never give boxed wine a thought, I always purchase bottled wine.  My thoughts on boxed wine have quickly changed this past weekend.  I was at a bridal shower that had Franzia boxed wine.  The first sip I had of the Franzia White Zinfandel got me thinking that I missed out on this wonderful wine all these years by only buying bottled wine.  The wine burst with the flavor of strawberry and had a delightful slight fizz to it; it reminds me of a wine cooler.  This is a refreshing wine that goes hand in hand with a hot summer day while you’re laying outside soaking up the sun. 
The box has a convenient spout for easy pouring and is a great deal at only about $15 for a 5 liter box (equivalent to approximately 6 bottles of wine).  Did I mention that a great feature of boxed wine is that it stays fresh longer after being opened than a bottle of wine?  I was so intrigued with this wine that I looked up all the different types and came across the information that stated it stays fresh for up to 6 weeks after being opened.  The thing that I hate about white wine is that I feel as though it doesn’t stay fresh for very long after it is opened.  If I don’t drink an entire bottle of white wine the day that I open it, I always end up having to pour out the rest of it the next day because it tastes so flat.  I even have the special wine stoppers (they have a pump that’s designed to suck out all the air from the bottle) that are supposed to help keep the wine fresh for longer, but they don’t really make a difference.  I’m excited I finally found a white wine that I can keep in my fridge for weeks without it going flat after the first day.     

No comments: